Athlete Services Coordinator at Mount Royal University Cougars Athletics and Recreation
About the Department of Cougars Athletics and Recreation
Mount Royal University Cougars Athletics and Recreation takes an inclusive, student-centred approach in offering groups and individuals opportunities to bolster their health and wellness through a wide range of programming and activities ranging from beginner sports enthusiast to our eight Cougars varsity athletic programs.
About the Role
The Athlete Services Coordinator reports directly to the Manager of Varsity Athletics within the department of Cougars Athletics and Recreation. The position oversees the administration of eligibility, compliance, and athletic financial aid (AFA) pertaining to Cougars student-athletes competing under the regulations of Canada West and USPORTS. Additionally, they coordinate academic and career support services for student-athletes, as well as manage alumni relations for Cougars Athletics.
Eligibility and Compliance (45%)
Oversee the eligibility and compliance of each Cougars student-athlete, including academic and athletic requirements pertaining to Canada West and U SPORTS regulations.
Educate varsity head coaches of any and all regulations (and changes) annually.
- Coordinate use of USPORTS Central for eligibility and compliance monitoring, record keeping.
- Oversee varsity eligibility and compliance program meetings at the beginning of each academic year.
- Lead anti-doping education and compliance, in relation to USPORTS regulations pertinent to the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES)
- Conduct weekly eligibility and compliance checks throughout the competition season.
- Manage all athletic financial aid (AFA), in conjunction with the eight varsity head coaches and MRU Student Awards department. This includes the Al Bohonus Awards Program, Jimmy Condon Fund, and 3rd Party scholarship management.
- Collaborate with the Manager of Varsity Athletics to ensure the department remains compliant at all times, and is a leader in the area across USPORTS.
Academic and Career Support (20%)
Lead the academic success plan through the department strategic plan, working closely with the Manager of Varsity Athletics and the Director of CAR.
Liaise with the following departments on campus in order to provide the necessary support to Cougars student-athletes and head coaches: Registrar, Admissions, Student Learning Services, Career Services.
- Create career mentorship opportunities for current student-athletes, with a focus on Cougars Athletics alumni engagement.
- Oversee annual assessment of academic and career support for Cougars Athletics.
Alumni Development (15%)
Oversee alumni relations for all of Cougars Athletics, beginning with the development of strategic planning initiatives and desired outcomes.
Liaise with MRU Alumni Relations department to collaborate on larger alumni initiatives.
Develop an appropriate alumni database and tracking system.
- Manage each varsity athletic program chapter, providing direction, expertise, and support for their alumni initiatives, events, and fundraising campaigns.
- Manage the Cougars Athletics Fund both internally with the eight varsity athletic programs, as well as externally with the MRU Foundation department.
- Lead alumni engagement events/activities, specific to the eight varsity programs as well as the greater Cougars Athletic department, in conjunction with the Events and Engagement Coordinator.
- Oversee annual assessment of alumni engagement and development.
Records Management (10%)
Oversee the safe record keeping of all eligibility and compliance documentation, in accordance with FOIP policy.
Manage the alumni database, through FrontRush or other hosting software.
- Collaborate with the Sports Information Coordinator concerning Wall of Fame management, notable alumni accomplishments, Academic All Canadian celebrations, and website management.
Departmental, Divisional and Institutional Service and Planning (10%)
Support the development of innovative collaborative partnerships to advance the departmental, divisional and institutional strategic reach.
Advance and serve on committees and university initiatives.
- Work collaboratively to foster department-wide customer experience best practices and protocols for all service areas and staff.
- Shares feedback from customers to management team to improve overall customer experience.
- Assist with recommendations and implementation of modifications to the department’s strategic plan as necessary.
- Collaborate with department, institutional, and community partners to cultivate leadership, citizenship, and engagement opportunities for student employees and participants.
Minimum Preferred Qualifications
Minimum 3-year post-secondary education, preferably in athletic administration or academic counselling.
Previous work experience (2 - 3 years) in program development, coordination, and/or administration.
- High degree of familiarity working with athletes, sport and young adults is necessary.
- Knowledge of the MRU environment, rules, regulations, process and administration is highly desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills, creative-thinking and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Service-oriented and capable of dealing with a wide variety of constituents.
- Ability to exercise discretion, good judgement, solid decision-making and confidentiality of information.
- Demonstrated ability to develop student leadership and development programs.
- Capable of eliciting and fostering trust with athletes and coaches.
- Organizational skills and time management abilities are essential.
- Strong working Initiative, with an ability to establish priorities, adhere to detail and complete task assignments in a timely and accurate manner.
- Proficiency in computer software applications, including Microsoft office.
- Flexibility in work hours including frequent evenings and weekends to attend events.
- University degree preferred in sport management, athletic administration or comparable university or similar athletics setting including administrative and fiscal management.
- Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
A cover letter and curriculum vitae/resume should be submitted as part of your application in .pdf format. Please title your .pdf document as follows: [Job Title], [Requisition Number] [Title of Contents].pdf (ex. Credit Contract Faculty, X00000, Curriculum Vitae.pdf).