Specialist, Marketing and Promotions, Dinos Excellence Fund, Faculty of Kinesiology at The University of Calgary
The Dinos Athletics in the Faculty of Kinesiology is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Specialist, Marketing and Promotions .
The University of Calgary Dinos field 19 varsity teams and nine club sports, hosting more than 100 competitions each year. The Dinos are a significant source of pride for the UCalgary community and the Specialist, Marketing & Promotions plays an important role in advancing the athletic department's mission.
Reporting to the Manager, Athletic Operations & Communications, the Specialist, Marketing and Promotions works closely with the Coordinator, Digital Media and other members of the team. The flexible work schedule is 35 hours per week, with the peak period of work occurring from September 1 through March 31 each year. Weekend and evening work will be required during the athletic season.
The Specialist, Marketing & Promotions is responsible for the marketing of all exhibition, regular season, playoff and special events conducted by the Department of Athletics. The position includes multi-event weekends, requiring various detailed tasks to be coordinated at multiple venues.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Support ticket sales efforts through various marketing and advertising campaigns
- Successful management and control of budgeted spending
- Provide assistance and support to Manager, Athletic Operations and Communications, on ensuring staffing is appropriately trained and coordinated to support marketing and promotional activities
- Development of strong relationships with key campus and community constituents
- With the Manager, Athletics Operations and Communications, lead Athletics representation at key on-campus events
- Development and implementation of marketing, advertising, and other promotional initiatives to increase attendance and awareness for Dinos events
- Complete market research to measure the success of advertising, promotions and marketing plans
- Ensure initiatives fall within University of Calgary and Department of Athletics branding guidelines
- Coordinate student-focused promotional initiatives
- Assist Specialist, Marketing & Communications with social media tasks
- Responsible for in-scope supervision of part-time staff in their daily activities, ensuring appropriate staffing levels and scheduling
- In conjunction with the Manager of Events, ensure the effective, efficient and profitable running of all Dinos events
- Work with external groups to ensure effective operation of games and special events
- Creation of game day script and liaison with video production crew for in-game scripting
- Ensure sponsor obligations related to in-game experience are met
- Coordinate appearances for Rex, the Dinos' mascot and other Athletics collateral
- Coordinate requests for donations on behalf of the Department of Athletics
- Work with community organizations to provide opportunities for athlete appearances and/or fundraising opportunities with the Department of Athletics
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Post-secondary degree in Kinesiology, Communications, Marketing, or other related area
- 2-5 years working experience in marketing, promotions, events management, or a related field
- Knowledge of U Sports, Canada West and University of Calgary policies and procedures are essential
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong attention to detail, good multitasking and organizational skills are required
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment focused on excellent customer service
- General knowledge of website/publication design and maintenance
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Previous experience in university and/or high-performance sport would be considered a strong asset
- Graphic design experience would be an asset
Application Deadline: May 31, 2018
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Specialist / Advisor Job Family, Phase II.