Managing Director with Cross-Country Alberta
If you are passionate about leading a fast-paced, provincial sport organization, we have
an excellent opportunity for you! Cross-Country Alberta is looking for an experienced
Managing Director to lead their team. Reporting to the Chair of the Board, you will
manage office staff, and work closely with the Board of Directors. The ideal candidate
will be someone with a previous experience executing a strategic plan, who knows how
to motivate and hold staff accountable, is comfortable bringing in sponsorship and
writing grants, is an excellent communicator and face of the organization, and is well
versed with all aspects of human resources and financial management.
Cross Country Alberta (CCA) is the provincial sport governing body responsible for
overseeing the growth and development of the Nordic Sport Industry in the province.
“Industry” meaning the progression of sport from club programs through to high
performance, and all the components that are needed to get there. This could include
coaching/leadership, retailers, hotels, suppliers, trail makers, events, etc. CCA office is
located in Edmonton, Alberta and currently employs two full-time staff members.
Visit us at: www.xcountryab.net
Working with, and reporting to the Board of Directors (BOD), the Managing Director
oversees all day to day activity and yearly planning for the organization.
This position plans, manages and directs Cross Country Alberta services, policies,
legislation, financial sustainability and staff. The Managing Director initiates all yearly
grants and funding proposals and acts as liaison between CCA and the Alberta Sport
Connection (ASC), Cross Country Canada (CCC), Para Nordic, Spirit North, and any
other relevant outside agencies and organizations that impact CCA’s ability to
implement and manage programmers successfully.
Prepare the annual strategic plan in consultation with the Board.
Marketing & Revenue Development
- Research, recommend and prepare applications to provincial and federal government funding agencies to support on-going business of CCA.
- Research and recommend additional funding sources, such as Para-Nordic and Indigenous programs.
- Initiate marketing plans and relationships within the “industry”, to build loyalty and funding opportunities.
- Work with the Marketing Director on fundraising, sponsorship and membership drives.
Work with the BOD Financial Director to:
- Plan, prepare and present the annual budget to the BOD and membership.
- Monitor actual results compared to budget and notify the BOD of any significant concerns or discrepancies as they arise.
- Provide direction for all employees of CCA.
- Develop a Volunteer Engagement Plan as part of annual Strategic Plan to increase the impact of CCA through volunteers.
- The ideal candidate would meet or exceed the following expectations:
- Experience with budgeting and financial management.
- Knowledge of strategic planning and ability to lead strategic planning processes.
- Proven leadership ability within a team setting.
- Display the following behaviors - problem solving, commitment to excellence, collaboration, accountability, innovation, vision and adaptability.
- Flexible and adaptable working schedule, as required.
- Familiarity with government funding applications, and other forms of fundraising would be an asset.
- Experienced and comfortable with Board of Directors collaboration and reporting.
- Track record in non-profit or sports organizational development and planning would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the sport of Nordic Skiing would be an asset.
- Background in sports administration, marketing and promotion techniques would be an asset.
- Understanding of grant applications available to sports organizations would be an asset.
Please email your resume to CCA Board of Directors, attn.: Vice-Chair, Dasha Atkins at
11759 Groat Road - Edmonton, Alberta - T5M 3K6
Tel: (780) 415-1738 / Fax: (780) 427-0524
Posting will remain open until a suitable candidate has been found.