Program Assistant, Catch the Spirit & Mascot at Canada Winter Games
TITLE: Program Assistant, Catch the Spirit & Mascot
REPORTS TO: Manager, Special Events & Community Engagement
LOCATION: Red Deer, AB
CONTRACT TERM: Until March 15, 2019
SALARY LEVEL: $15 - $17/hour
The 2019 Canada Winter Games Red Deer Host Society is looking to fill the position of Program Assistant, Catch the Spirit & Mascot. In February 2019, thousands of our country’s best and brightest will set their sights on Red Deer as we host the 2019 Canada Winter Games. Up to 3,600 participants from across Canada, 400 media, 500 VIPs, 500 officials and thousands of visitors will join us for the two-week event. Featuring 19 sports and a major arts and cultural festival, the 2019 Canada Games will be the largest event in Red Deer’s history.
The Program Assistant, Catch the Spirit & Mascot will contribute to the mission of delivering a
life-shaping Games experience by helping to build community spirit and excitement for the 2019 Canada Winter Games.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This role is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
● Assist with analysis, preparing reports, completing research and other activities in support
of the community relations area on an ongoing basis
● Support the Games mascot program
● Support in the Catch the Spirit education program for elementary and middle schools
● Support the engagement of central Alberta municipalities, schools, service groups and
organizations through the delivery of the Catch the Spirit and mascot programs
REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCES AND ABILITIES
● A diploma or certificate related to arts, hospitality, communications, event management,
public relations or other related fields
● Two (2) years of related experience in arts, culture, customer service, hospitality, community
outreach or working with volunteer committees. A combined equivalent of education and
experience may be considered
● Strong organizational, and administration skills
● A valid Alberta class 5 driver’s licence is essential for this role
● Excellent communication skills, written and oral, in English is required and fluency in French
is an asset
● Experience with Google’s G Suite programs, Gmail, Docs, Slides, Calendar, etc. (or
equivalent Microsoft Office programs) is required
● Demonstrated ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects and tasks
● Ability to work in a team environment where duties and reporting levels are shared
● Knowledge and experience working in a not-for-profit, events, sports or multi-sport Games
environment is an asset
● This is a half-time position. Formal office hours are Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.;
however, flexibility will be required. This position will include various evening and weekend
hours and events.
● The 2019 Canada Games Host Society is an equal opportunity employer and believes
diversity strengthens us as a workplace; we encourage all those qualified to apply.
● All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
● The successful candidate will be subject to a criminal record check and/or other
Closing date for this position is Friday, June 8, 2018.
Please forward your cover letter and résumé to the attention of:
Manager, Special Events & Community Engagement
Only those invited into the recruitment process will be contacted. Thank you.