Athletic Director/ Sport Management Program Coordinator with PRAIRIE College
This position exists to support the mission of Prairie to “train and mentor Christians through
biblically integrated post-secondary education” by providing excellent, relevant and primary
leadership in athletics.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
General responsibilities include but are not limited to those noted below. The description may be
adjusted according to the experience, skills and passions of the successful applicant.
Athletics Director (leadership of all athletics at Prairie)
o Lead the philosophy and practice of athletics, consistent with Prairie’s mission.
o Champion health, athletics and sport ministry for all students/staff.
o Develop positive partnering relationships to advance athletics/sport.
o Implement sport camps program.
o Design opportunities for varsity and intramural sport involvement by students.
o Staff athletics positions.
o Manage athletics budget.
o Coach one varsity team.
Sport Management program coordinator
(leadership of the academic program - http://www.prairie.edu/sport)
o Provide vision, direction and oversight.
o Teaching program specific courses.
o Articulate and communicate the vision, goals and outcomes.
o Review the currency and quality of the program and course offerings.
o Recruit and retain students (in partnership with the Director of Admissions).
o Advocate for and market the program both on and off-campus, including website (in partnership with the Director of Marketing).
o Design and manage curriculum (in partnership with the Dean of Education).
o Advise, mentor and disciple students. The Program Coordinator is the academic advisor for all students in the program. The Program Coordinator should meet with each student in his/her program at least annually.
o Participate in the Graduation Candidature interview process.
o Facilitate program assemblies and other collegial events.
o Facilitate collaborative and cooperative relationships with other departments, programs and personnel of Prairie.
o Foster positive partnering relationships with external organizations.
o Connect students with quality industry professionals for training and career opportunities.
o Budget proposal, administration and priorities.
o Development and oversight of student practicums/internships, especially focused on international opportunities.
• Mission: Knowledge of and enthusiastic commitment to Prairie’s mission, vision, core values, statement of faith, and community covenant.
• Church: Understanding of and commitment to the local church.
• Education: Preference of a graduate degree in a relevant discipline, minimum NCCP
Level 1 coaching certification.
• Experience: Significant experience in sport/athletic ministry, evidence of administrative and leadership experience.
• English Language: Excellent knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including composition and grammar.
• Character: Observable and contagious love for God, self-initiative, maturity of Christian character, team attitude, loyalty to organization and people, missional.
• Relational Competency: Ability to work in collegial partnership with a variety of groups, able to communicate clearly and effectively, experience and ability in building team relationships, ability and skill to relate well to college-age students..
• Skills: Passion and ability to equip students for ministry, able to provide leadership through integrity rather than authority, competence and integrity in the management of finances, ability to plan, implement and evaluate initiatives, administrative ability, teaching skills in a post-secondary classroom setting.
Reports to the Dean of Education/Student Development.
In accordance with the standards of the government, preference will be given to qualified applicants who hold Canadian citizenship or are a permanent residence of Canada. Prairie’s goal is to complete as soon as a qualified applicant is found. However, applications will be received until the position has been filled by a qualified person.