General Manager, McMahon Stadium at McMahon Stadium Society
The McMahon Stadium Society invites applications for an experienced leader in the role of General Manager, McMahon Stadium. Reporting directly to the McMahon Stadium Society Board of Directors, the General Manager is responsible for all operational aspects of McMahon Stadium, ensuring the safe and cost effective operation of the venue.
The General Manager, McMahon Stadium provides operational, short and long term strategic oversight in managing the venue. Leading a team of 10 fulltime and 6 seasonal staff, together with up to 300 event staff, the General Manager, McMahon Stadium will provide leadership to ensure satisfied customers, productivity and reasonable costs through effective team members who are held to high standards and motivated to continuously improve their skills and work processes.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
The General Manager will be responsible for operational, strategic and financial leadership for Stadium departments including operations, maintenance, security, parking, and event management, and directs all administrative functions including legal, accounting, audit, payroll, human resources, business development and risk management.
• Provides direction and leadership to stadium staff
• Ensures that support staff work effectively as a team. Provides quality leadership to support staff in multiple roles and phases of development. This includes business process assessments, recruitment, mentoring, performance management, and discipline of support staff, performance management including termination if necessary
• Deal with a variety of issues using tact and diplomacy when dealing with all employee groups and stakeholders
• Reports quarterly to McMahon Stadium Society Board of Directors.
• Develops and evaluates long and short-term objectives, action plans and evaluative processes aimed towards ensuring the stadium remains a viable multi-use community facility.
• Pro-actively identify and attends to any administrative issues or outcomes that may be forthcoming
• Provides recommendations, direction and support to the senior management team related to various administrative, operational, and HR and budget functions and processes to ensure and/or improve overall effectiveness
• Oversees budget processes and planning, working closely with the management team to ensure sound budget planning, monitoring and reporting
Administrative and Business Processes
• Coordinates with the McMahon Stadium house caterer with respect to all safety and service delivery matters relating to their stadium operations.
• Develops and implements policies and procedures.
• Maximizes facility usage and schedules all stadium events through direct liaison with various user groups including professional football, amateur sports and commercial ventures.
• Leads on and coordinates all event day activities.
• Prepares operating and capital budgets for facility maintenance and improvements.
• Pro-actively identify and attends to any administrative issues or outcomes that may be forthcoming.
• Responsible for the general oversight of administrative functions, which may include planning and coordinating meetings, retreats, and projects as required
• A bachelor degree in business is required, with a focus on operations management or building operations
• Minimum of 5 years experience as a General or Stadium Manager or similar role desirable
• Minimum of 5 years experience leading and managing a multi-functional department at a senior level including project and event management
• Demonstrated experience in budgeting, planning, construction and project management; extensive experience with crafts and trades is required
• Proven experience of devising, implementing and delivering key objectives strategically as part of a multi-disciplined management team
• Strong interpersonal skills and relationship management experience is essential
• Excellent leadership, communication and negotiation skills
• Commitment to customer satisfaction, change management, appropriate application of technology to enhance operational efficiency, planning and continuous improvement
• Must be able to work event based hours including evenings and weekends
Application Deadline: April 2, 2019
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
About McMahon Stadium
McMahon Stadium is home to both professional and amateur football teams including the University of Calgary Dinos, Calgary Colts of the Canadian Junior Football League, and the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League. With permanent seating for over 35,400 it is the fifth-largest football stadium in Canada, and has hosted sporting and entertainment events including concerts, the 2011 NHL Heritage Classic, and both the opening and closing ceremonies for the 1988 Winter Olympics.