ECONOMIC IMPACT VALUE OF AMATEUR SPORT REPORT
A proven economic driver, the beneficial impact of sports on families and communities has been repeatedly proven.
This report is valuable as a credible reference point when considering important reviews and public decisions. This includes decisions involving municipal sport policies, capital and operating budgets, and ongoing legacies from sporting events. It is hoped this report will directly lead to higher community involvement in sport and more accessible sport opportunities for all Calgarians.
• The “Gross Municipal Amateur Sport Product” in Calgary was over $1.2 billion, which represents the sum of expenditures such as private household consumption (over $715 million), various levels of government spending (nearly $150 million), balance of trade (over $350 million), and other private capital investments.
• The overall GDP (value added) impact on the Calgary economy of these expenditures was approximately $1.1 billion; amateur sport supported almost 1.0% of Calgary’s GDP.
• The overall impact on wages and salaries on the Calgary economy of these expenditures was approximately $750 million; amateur sport supported almost 2.3% of Calgary’s employment.
• Amateur sport spending had an effect on employment in Calgary of almost 17,000 full-time jobs
• While contributing to amateur sport in Calgary, volunteers provided an estimated 15 million hours.
Download the full report below.
Sport Facility Supply & Demand Study
Sport Calgary is excited to be spearheading a comprehensive new facility supply and demand study for Calgary. The study was comprised of hundreds of local, provincial and national sport organizations and local facilities, as well as 1000 Calgarians, half of which were sport participants, and half of which were not.
The Study provides an accurate picture of the current state of sport facility supply and demand in the city; crucial information which will inform a number of future initiatives. In particular, this study will provide a solid foundation from which to offer recommendations for an update to the 10 Year Strategic Plan for Sport Facility Development and Enhancement which has proven so valuable in the development of sport facilities in Calgary.