Parks Foundation Calgary and Sport Calgary Announce Plans to Launch "Sport for Calgary Legacy Fund"
CALGARY, Alberta — Parks Foundation Calgary and Sport Calgary today jointly announced plans to launch a Sport for Calgary Legacy Fund to support amateur sport in Calgary.
The Fund will have multiple purposes and beneficiaries, all aligned towards supporting amateur sport in Calgary and the proposed civic Sport for Life Policy, including:
- Community amateur sport infrastructure in under-served communities;
- Community amateur sport programs, both organized and unstructured;
- Neighbourhood-based organizations in under-served communities;
- Education for all ages, including primary and secondary schools, and post-secondary institutions;
- High-needs priorities, including but not limited to: Comrie’s Sport Equipment Bank, KidSport, Respect Group, the Indigenous Sport Council, and the Aboriginal Friendship Centre of Calgary; and,
- General research into current issues in sport.
“We are thrilled to be partnering with Parks Foundation Calgary to create the Sport for Calgary Legacy Fund,” said Murray Sigler, Sport Calgary CEO. “Sport Calgary will act as the ongoing public voice for financial support through donations, bequests, and government funding. The Fund will receive additional financial support from Sport Calgary through an annual donation of any surplus Sport Calgary event and sponsorship revenue.”
Sheila Taylor, Parks Foundation Calgary CEO, said “Parks Foundation Calgary is pleased to move forward with plans to launch the Sport for Calgary Legacy Fund in partnership with Sport Calgary. Parks Foundation Calgary will administer the Fund and manage relationships with other groups and foundations. This is a great opportunity to bring sport together in Calgary.”
Both Sigler and Taylor agree that the new Fund will benefit and support community amateur sport across Calgary and create an enduring legacy for sport in our city.
About Sport Calgary
Sport Calgary is a volunteer non-profit society, representing sport in the city of Calgary. Sport Calgary is a full Civic Partner of the City of Calgary. As an advocate of sport, we strive to assist, support and influence the growth of sport in Calgary by:
Playing a lead role in the implementation of the Calgary Civic Sport Policy, and ensuring it continues to create a vision for sport in Calgary from introductory to high performance levels
- Continually identifying and assessing the needs of the sport community and facility stakeholders
- Encouraging development and enhancement of appropriate facilities and the efficient utilization of current facilities
- Fostering collaboration within the sport community and coordination of resources amongst stakeholders to develop and enhance facilities
- Increasing the profile of sport in Calgary, and advocating the values and benefits of sport
- Facilitating education and training opportunities for athletes, coaches, officials, administrators, parents and volunteers
- Acting as a resource for sport organizations
- Encouraging the hosting of sport events and sport tourism in Calgary
About Parks Foundation
Since its establishment in 1985 as a non-profit organization, Parks Foundation Calgary has worked to create thriving communities and public spaces. We exist so all Calgarians can enjoy a healthy lifestyle by providing easily accessible and unique, sport and green spaces.